To create a course , locate the Create Course button in the Course Directory. Click on it and you’ll see the create course page. Each section in create course has a description given on the right. Clicking an element automatically triggers its corresponding description on the right.
The course creation process is divided into 5 steps :
1. Create Course
In this step a new course is created. This new course is in draft state.
- Course TitleDelete the existing test and enter a suitable title for the course.
- Course CategorySelect a Course Category, in case you want to add a new category, select new category and enter the new course category name.
- Course ImageSelect a Course thumbnail image. This image is used in course snapshot and single course page.
- Course DescriptionEnter a short description of the course. This is a two line description shown below the course title. This description is also used in creating new groups and forums. The main description and content of the Course can be added later on by simply editing the course form the front end.
- Change Course Status Enter the status of the course offline or online .
Note:A Offline Course is not visible to students in the course directory.
2. Create Settings
These are vital settings for the course, which needs to be configured.
- Maximum Course DurationMaxmimum duration of course in days. Entering a value of 9999 or above shows “unlimited access” as time duration for course.
- Course Evaluation modeSet evaluation mode for course.
- Pre Required courseSet a pre required course for the course. The course selected here, needs to submitted and evaluated in order to get started with this course.
- Drip Feed
Enable Drip feed for course.
- Drip DurationSet Drip duration for the course. The drip duration is time period between successive units.
- Course Certificate
Enable Course certifiacte
- Certificate PercentageSet percentage out of 100. If students cumulative percentage of all quizzes and assignments is more than the value set here, she will get the certificate.
- Certificate TemplateSet a certificate template
- Course Badge
Enable Badges for course
- Badge PercentageSet percentage out of 100. If students cumulative percentage of all quizzes and assignments is more than the value set here, she will get the badge.
- Badge TitleAdd a title for the Badge. This title appears when user hovers over the badge.
- Badge ImageUpload a Badge image. This is required to enable Badge for the course.
- Number of SeatsEnter Number of seats for the course. The Seats comprise of students currently taking the course. Once the seats are filled, a new student would not be able to join the Course.
- Start DateSet a Start date of the course. If set to a future date, th
- e Course begins when the Start date arrives, that is student will be able to join the course only after the start date.
- Course GroupConnect a group, if creating a new course it is recommended that you create a new group for the course. By default the group created is a private group only accessible to students taking the course.
- Course Retakes Enter number of retakes a student can make of that particular course
- Course ForumConnect a forum, if creating a new course it is recommended that you connect the group forum for the course.This will create a private group forum for the above group only accessible to students taking the course and in the group.
- Course Completion messageEnter a Completion message, which is shown to user when the user finishes the course or submits the course for evaluation.
3. Set Curriculum
In this section Instructor creates or sets the curriculum for the course.
- ADD SECTIONAdd a new section in the curriculum. Clicking this button would add a Text box in the curriculum section. Enter the section title in the box.
- ADD UNITAdd a unit in the curriculum. Clicking this button would add a select box showing all the units. If instructor privacy is enabled then all the units created by instructor will be shown in the select box. To add a new unit select “Add New Unit” in the select box, which will show a input box. Enter the title of the unit in the input box and select Publish from the dropdown beside the unit. Once published the unit will be published and the dropdown controls will now show edit unit. Clicking on edit in the dropdown controls would take the user to the unit editing screen. Clicking on Delete would remove the unit from the databse. Clicking on remove will remove the unit form the curriculum.
- ADD QUIZAdd a Quiz in the curriculum. Clicking this button would add a select box showing all the quizzes. If instructor privacy is enabled then all the quizzes created by instructor will be shown in the select box. To add a new quiz select “Add New Quiz” in the select box, which will show a input box. Enter the title of the Quiz in the input box and select Publish from the dropdown beside the unit.Once published the quiz will be published and the dropdown controls will now show edit quiz. Clicking on edit in the dropdown controls would take the user to the quiz editing screen. Clicking on Delete would remove the quiz from the databse. Clicking on “remove” will remove the quiz form the curriculum.
- Save CurriculumUnless the Course curriculum is saved, the new units created and added are not a part of the course curriculum.
This allows the instructor to set a Price for the course.
- Free CourseSet the course as Free. A free is available to all students accessing the course.
- Set a Course Product
- Select an existing product if instructor want to sell the course as a combination of courses.
- Select “No Product” to keep the course as private and manually control the Students for course
- Select “ADD NEW PRODUCT” to create a new product and set the mode and pricing. If mode is set to subscription set the duration of subscription in days. If subscription is not enabled then the subscription duration is set as course duration. When a student purchases a course the subscription duration is set for the student. The access to the course is limited by subscription duration of the course, post which the course goes into expired state and student has to re purchase a course product to continue with the course again.
5. Publish Course
Publish the course. If Administrator has given access to publish the course then the course will be published, otherwise it will go into pending state, which the administrator needs to manually check and turn the status to Published.